Author Topic: Gene Taylor of the Blasters RIP  (Read 199 times)

Offline njwolf

Gene Taylor of the Blasters RIP
« on: February 21, 2021, 11:55:10 am »
  Gene was 68 and played with the Blasters and the Fabulous Thunderbirds and also had a solo career.
 Here is a link to an obituary:
 https://bestclassicbands.com/gene-taylor-musician-obituary-blasters-2-21-21/

Dave Alvin posted the following on his Facebook page last night.

I'm too sad to even know where to begin but... Gene Taylor passed away in his sleep last night in Austin, Texas. I knew Gene since I was 13 years old and he was 17 and living on his own in a small farmhouse on the then still semi-agricultural border of Downey and Norwalk. At 17 he had a full beard, could easily buy booze, smoked cigars and, most importantly, was already a boogie/blues piano master. All of us Blasters were always odd ducks and odd balls and Gene was no different. Through the years we could fight verbally and physically but we never lost sight of who we were, where we came from, who we learned from and who we loved. Even when we were apart...we stuck together. Gene always said he considered me to be his little brother David and I was deeply honored by that. I always will be.

For a several months way back in 1971, Gene stored a piano in a room at the Alvin house. Every afternoon Gene would come by to practice and fill our home with the joyous power of boogie woogie. This clip is Gene playing piano (with the late Richard Innes on drums) just like he did those days at my parent's house long long ago. After all the years of knowing, playing, touring, drinking, carousing, fighting, shouting and singing together, this performance is how I'll remember Gene.

My condolences and love to Tex Taylor, Charlie Taylor, Phil Alvin, Bill Bateman, John Bazz, Chris Ruest and all the musicians, fans and friends who knew and loved Gene.
Rock on big brother Geno.

Offline njwolf

Re: Gene Taylor of the Blasters RIP
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:07:26 pm »
 The Austin American Statesman reports Gene had been staying in an apartment without heat for five days before his death.
 https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/02/21/gene-taylor-austin-pianist-fabulous-thunderbirds-and-more-dies/4535083001/