Author Topic: The future of Los Lobos?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline mcamp

Re: The future of Los Lobos?
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »
Personally, I think the band still smokes.
I have been averaging about 4 shows a year for the last number of years, and they bring it every time.
I had such a great time this NYE in Boston, and looking forward to the Cabot Theater show in the spring....and any others that pop up on my radar; I will be there.

Offline Jim

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 01:44:30 pm »
... you like the Black Keys for example...

Uhhh...no I don't...I'd like to punch the guitarist in the mouth actually...   >:D

Not even for a moment? but, but...

and I'd kinda like to punch both of them in the mouth but that's only because they became sell out punks... their last effort was a zero and Auerbach even managed to ruin a perfectly good Dr John album simply by producing it... they've lost their way but they were damn fine for a few rounds... I suspect they've just spent too much time hanging out with Dave Grohl...
I agree with you on the Dr. John album. It got rave reviews and I couldn't understand why. Auerbach's production muddled the entire cd.

Offline mcamp

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 02:11:22 pm »

Uhhh...no I don't...I'd like to punch the guitarist in the mouth actually...   >:D

and I'd kinda like to punch both of them in the mouth but that's only because they became sell out punks... their last effort was a zero and Auerbach even managed to ruin a perfectly good Dr John album simply by producing it... they've lost their way but they were damn fine for a few rounds... I suspect they've just spent too much time hanging out with Dave Grohl...
I agree with you on the Dr. John album. It got rave reviews and I couldn't understand why. Auerbach's production muddled the entire cd.
I like the Locked Down album.
I saw Dr. John a few times when that album came out; the material really translated well in a live setting. The songs Locked Down and Revolution rank as some of Macs best material IMO.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 11:29:31 am »

I like the Locked Down album.
I saw Dr. John a few times when that album came out; the material really translated well in a live setting. The songs Locked Down and Revolution rank as some of Macs best material IMO.

I've see Dr John multiple times in many different configurations and he rarely disappoints... I thought the album sounded murky and way overproduced... the vocals seemed buried and the instrumentation felt like it was blunted, and to what purpose I don't know... it had a kind of Daniel Lanois (whom I love) kind of production sound but with Lanois he usually seems able to adapt the musician/band to his way of producing (check out Willie Nelson's Teatro which doesn't sound like any other Willie Nelson album, but somehow ultimately works)... I had a lot of high hopes for that album (I love the earlier Black Keys records) and for what it is worth Auerbach has produced some good ones (check out the one he did for Jessica Lea Mayfield, With Blasphemy So Heartfelt, which is excellent)...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:24 pm »
i asked Conrad about the rumor that he was leaving the band after the Eugene shows...he told me it was a bullshit lie

then Dave was like "yeah, the rest of us are quitting"

guess you had to be there

Offline skaggs

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »
i asked Conrad about the rumor that he was leaving the band after the Eugene shows...he told me it was a bullshit lie

Hilarious! 

I just got a killer rock show in Durango, CO on 2018-01-19.  I had to skip last night in Santa Fe, but have a ticket for the Rialto in Tucson, AZ, USA.  They love that place.   I'm planning on trying to do 3-4 a year if I can. 

That said if you like jammy blues check out the Marcus King band.  The California Honeydrops are a young soulful, Bay Area band.  I'm hoping to see Sturgill Simpson at Telluride Bluegrass.  If I'm successful, I'll up a recording so we can all see.  I love the Truckers,  Isbell, TTB and a whole lot of other stuff. 

Hearing Kid Ramos is badass, supposed to be some recordings floating around....

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »

Offline rovalle

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 05:40:52 pm »

Hilarious! 

I just got a killer rock show in Durango, CO on 2018-01-19.  I had to skip last night in Santa Fe, but have a ticket for the Rialto in Tucson, AZ, USA.  They love that place.   I'm planning on trying to do 3-4 a year if I can. 

That said if you like jammy blues check out the Marcus King band.  The California Honeydrops are a young soulful, Bay Area band.  I'm hoping to see Sturgill Simpson at Telluride Bluegrass.  If I'm successful, I'll up a recording so we can all see.  I love the Truckers,  Isbell, TTB and a whole lot of other stuff. 

Hearing Kid Ramos is badass, supposed to be some recordings floating around....

for recent Kid performances check with Voodostrat..I hear he has a few! Anything on a Phoenix area show sandwiched (or tacoed) around the Tucson date yet?
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline mcamp

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 11:16:48 am »
Regarding other music I listen to/ attend concerts of....I'm all over the spectrum.
Last year I saw 54 concerts; four were Los Lobos. I also see Blue Oyster Cult plenty, I work at a music venue (volunteer), Blue Ocean Music Hall, and caught some good ones there; Todd Rundgren, Carl Palmer Band, Blackberry Smoke to name  a few.
I'm fortunate to live in an area that has plenty of musical offerings, between Boston and the surrounding area, Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME, and in CT and RI.
Tupelo Music Hall (Derry, NH) is another place that has excellent bookings, as well as the Lowell Summer Music Series, and the summer shows at prescott Park in Portsmouth, NH.
I'm also a big jazz fan; saw Bill Frisell twice last year, and have seen him many times over the years. I go to Sculler Jazz Club, and the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA often, as well as the one off shows happening at multiple venues across the area.
I also like to attend classical shows at Symphony Hall, and Jordan Hall in Boston.
Literally, so much music, so little time. 

Offline bigbamcake

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
Regarding other music I listen to/ attend concerts of....I'm all over the spectrum.
Last year I saw 54 concerts; four were Los Lobos. I also see Blue Oyster Cult plenty, I work at a music venue (volunteer), Blue Ocean Music Hall, and caught some good ones there; Todd Rundgren, Carl Palmer Band, Blackberry Smoke to name  a few.
I'm fortunate to live in an area that has plenty of musical offerings, between Boston and the surrounding area, Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME, and in CT and RI.
Tupelo Music Hall (Derry, NH) is another place that has excellent bookings, as well as the Lowell Summer Music Series, and the summer shows at prescott Park in Portsmouth, NH.
I'm also a big jazz fan; saw Bill Frisell twice last year, and have seen him many times over the years. I go to Sculler Jazz Club, and the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA often, as well as the one off shows happening at multiple venues across the area.
I also like to attend classical shows at Symphony Hall, and Jordan Hall in Boston.
I saw Southside Johnny there last august for both shows. Didn't know u worked there?  Wow!! Trying to tell Armando that Lobos gotta play there.

Offline Bart Cornand

• Our Man in Europe
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:08 am »
I think I'll have to accept the fact that I'll probably never see them again in Europe. It saddens me more than I can tell you.
As for other music, The Band is still it for me, right up there with the Lobos in terms of songwriting, cultural heritage and technical skill. Dylan since 1997. Mavis Staples (with Rick Holmstrong on guitar). And a lot of Jason Isbell, too.

Offline mcamp

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 11:33:59 am »
I saw Southside Johnny there last august for both shows. Didn't know u worked there?  Wow!! Trying to tell Armando that Lobos gotta play there.

Actually LL played there a number of years ago.
It did not sell too well, with the back room closed off.
Cesar showed up late and played the second set.
They seem to be favoring the Cabot Theater these days.

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:14 pm »
Why does pop music suck these days? One explanation, 20 minutes long but pretty interesting, IMO:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oVME_l4IwII

Offline mcamp

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »
Why does pop music suck these days? One explanation, 20 minutes long but pretty interesting, IMO:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oVME_l4IwII

I didn't even watch the clip; I think I've seen it before....a guy with an English accent?
Personally, I think it is now dated.
The vehicle for getting ones music out there has changed. You now have YouTube sensations, and other social media sites where these 'flash and the pans" get there five minutes of fame.
It's just like the news...."a sound-bite mentality".
I personally think the ones who are not looking to hit the grand slam first time at the plate, and are willing to pay their dues, their music can develop, but in most cases not playing arenas.

Offline skaggs

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:43 pm »

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 09:46:02 pm »
I miss the Col.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cb-YxV0mPs

How the hell did I miss you the night you pulled tape at the Vista Room? That residency was some of the best I ever did see him play. I miss Bruce too.

Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!