Author Topic: National Hispanic Heritage Month Sept 15-Oct 13  (Read 3732 times)

Offline CesarJA

• http://www.ndvh.org
National Hispanic Heritage Month Sept 15-Oct 13
« on: September 15, 2004, 05:14:56 pm »
Feliz/Happy National Hispanic Heritage Month to you!  Celebrate with your neighbors and go to a cultural event, attend a Los Lobos show, pick up a Latin@ based book, and/or eat some great food.  Overall, we can all learn more from a wonderful culture that spawned the world's greatest band.  Orale.

Con Paz,
Cesar

Offline rovalle

National Hispanic Heritage Month Sept 15-Oct 13
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 08:31:17 pm »
well, where i live I AM my local community's event...i just finished playing "la negra" about ten times in a row real loud, scaring hte neighbors....don't know about this nat'l hispanic month though, cuz i'm not fron hispania...oh well....   let me tell you all why i love "la negra",...in the late '50's when i was about seven my folks started taking me with them to the million dollar theatre in L.A. where all the big time mexican acts would perform, sorta the apollo theatre de la raza if you will...one of the first times i went i remember the curtains being closed and all of a sudden the opening strains of la negra started...the curtains drew back and the mariachis playing literally went from one end of the stage to the other (i've been told since it was probably the mariachi vargas) and they PLAYED!!! i probably ruined my voice for a week trying to throw gritos like they did...man it was sharp!  another fond memory was when i was about ten i saw miguel aceves mejia who is now my favorite cancionero...what kicked so much about this show was as the mariachis were strung out across the stage playing, all of a sudden there were gunshots from off stage and he was led in riding on a white horse in full regalia and two pisolas in his hands...he went to center stage where he was handed the microphone and he sang the first song from horseback!!! naturally this blew my mind cuz i was a lone ranger fanatic at the time...i spoke to ruben guaderrama from the fine band the blazers and he laughed and said he had seen the same thing once when he went with his folks...we couldn't figure out if it was the same gig though or if this was standard stuff back then...lastly another thing that stands out in my feeble memory was when my father took me to see el ballet folklorico de amalia hernandez at the dorothy chandler pavilion...i was about fourteen and this show rocked! que viva la raza!!! and have a great day everyone
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline CesarJA

• http://www.ndvh.org
wow!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 10:26:19 pm »
Rovalle,
What a great time!  I freaked out when you got to the part of the cancionero singing from on top of the horse.  Awesome memories.

I am playing the Latin Playboy's first LP for the second time tonight.  Loud as you did play La Negra.  What wondeful LPs.

Que viva l@s Latin@s y todos los indigenos!!!!/May all the Latin@s and the indigenous live!!!!  Of course, and the rest of you all too.  Much love. Orale.

Con Paz,
Cesar

Offline Carol F.

Re: wow!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 05:00:26 am »
Quote from: "CesarJA"

Rovalle, What a great time!  I freaked out when you got to the part of the cancionero singing from on top of the horse.  Awesome memories.

Con Paz,
Cesar

In the liner notes for Canciones de mi Padre, Linda Ronstadt notes that the mariachi suits are based on the Charro (cowboy) suits, and that during the grand parade at the charredas, the traditional rancheras are sung from horseback. She notes, "The real test of a good singer was if he or she could support a tone on horseback."  No kidding! Cool Schtuff.

Carol F.