Author Topic: Elvis Costello and David Hidalgo  (Read 3071 times)

Offline mikec

Elvis Costello and David Hidalgo
« on: February 13, 2005, 07:40:30 am »
Oh yeah--just saw that Elvis Costello with the Pickups are playing at the Rams Head in Baltimore on April 24th. The Pickups are Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher and DAVID HIDALGO. Can't wait.

Offline midnite

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
The Pickups are Pete Thomas, Davey Faragher and DAVID HIDALGO

Sounds like a real teat. After much searching and confusion, I see EC is playing up here at the Paramount (Oakland) but with the usual Imposters, not the Pickups. Too bad, I may still go, but would really like to see EC with David Hidalgo backing him up. Couple of great voices there, and EC plays a mean git himself. Just nowheres near the talent DH is on guitar.

I wonder of many other dates wuill feature that line-up? I almost want to fly to Baltimore and check this one out.

Offline dgale

• Archivist
      • http://loslobos.setlist.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:13:58 pm »
The word I got was 3 shows back east on 4/24-26 - I'm not sure of the exact location of the other two.  There also was mention (and I'm not sure how much of it was jest) that if they were having too much fun then maybe Dave would get dragged down for Jazz Fest as well (where I know EC is scheduled to appear shortly thereafter, although I'm not sure with which band...).

lobogirl

E.C. & the Imposters
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 08:56:21 am »
Quote from: "dgale"
.  There also was mention (and I'm not sure how much of it was jest) that if they were having too much fun then maybe Dave would get dragged down for Jazz Fest as well (where I know EC is scheduled to appear shortly thereafter, although I'm not sure with which band...).

Could be! That'd be a blast for sure if E.C. invites a special friend to join him on stage at NOJ&HF.

Elvis & the Imposters are scheduled for the Fairgrounds on 2nd Saturday, 30 April 2005. Along with Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Galactic, Toots & the Maytals, Old Crow Medicine Show, Dave Matthews Band, & the Glass House Reunion w/ the Original Dirty Dozen Brass Band, along with scores of other performers. www.nojazzfest.com

Whatever happens, I'll be in New Orleans for  1st weekend & Daze Between, so I'll miss it.

Offline jimblickle

Norfolk added.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:58:55 am »
Gig #1 with the Pickups is 4/24 at the Norva in Norfolk, VA. Tickets went on sale yesterday (Friday - 2/18).

I haven't been able to find any info on a 3rd show, but I got my tickets to Baltimore.

Yabbadabbado!

Offline midnite

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 02:32:03 pm »
The third show looks to be in Athens, GA. Found the info through a few sources, one of which was eBay. Looks like the show is the 27th, at the Classic Center. So, Baltimore: 24th, Norfolk: 26th, Athens: 27th?

Now, do I fly to Baltimore for the Ram's Head date, do I fly all the way to Baltimore for one concert? Hmmm.... Been a huge EC fan for years, itisDavid Hildago backing him up. How many chances will I really get to see that combo?

Decisions.

[/i]

Offline Jason

• We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
      • My home away from home
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 01:17:15 am »
Might as well book that ticket now, otherwise you'll be cursing yourself for passing it up if you don't go.

Offline midnite

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 04:15:06 pm »
Ok, I'm a going...to Baltimore. Just got my ticket from Ram's Head for the show there in April. Have purchased the air tickets and made my hotel reservation, it's set. Just how many chances am I going to have to see EC with David H. backing him up on guitar? Not many! Ya only live once.

Now I only wish I wasn't getting back from an overseas trip the Friday before the show. Coming back that Friday and leaving very early Sunday morning to make a show in Baltimore that evening sounds "ok" right now...not so sure how eager I'll feel waking at 430 am in order to get to the Oakland Airport!

It's EC with DH, damn the jetlag, fullspeed!

Offline dgale

• Archivist
      • http://loslobos.setlist.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 12:15:21 am »
The word from Dave this past week is that he will also play at Jazz Fest with EC as well.

lobogirl

Athens, GA
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:07:03 am »
Pre-sale tickets for the 4/27/05 show at the Classic Center are still available. www.elviscostello.com

Offline midnite

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 04:05:20 pm »
Just got back from Baltimore late last night. I've been to my share of shows, this was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. EC came out and did a couple of tunes by himself on acoustic, then Pete and Davey came on and they just ripped through about 6 songs non-stop, a scorching mini-set. After a bit EC introduced David Hidalgo, saying the band would be able to do some songs they never played before, the crowd giving him a big ovation.

There were a few glitches and some missed cues but it looked like DH was enjoying himself. He appearred a bit more relaxed as "lead guiatrist" and he played well, at times amazingly so. It was a real treat, DH backing up Costello. EC introduced a song that "David would sing" and they launched into "Bertha". That tune got about the biggest crowd response of the night. I was right behind a couple of LL fans, maybe some folks from The Neighborhood? EC and DH shared vocals on "Matter of Time" and then DH played a ripping version of Mas Y Mas. That was my DH highlight of the evening, and EC put in some fine  guitar work on that song. It was non-stop for two hours, just about every classic EC song one would want to hear and some new ones mixed in. Simply put, incredible.

An aside: The next day I was walking around Baltimore and saw the young singer that opened for EC, Sondre Loche . He was getting into a van. I thought "ha, what a coincidence".

Later that day I was conming back fom lunch and darted across a street by the waterfront. I turned to cross the next street on my way back to the hotel and there were five guys in front of me waiting to cross in the opposite direction. One of them was a guy that looked very much like my Uncle Bob, my uncle who possesses an uncanny resemblance to Elvis Costello. So, right in front of me was EC, Davey Faragher, another guy... and David and Vincent Hildago!

I only had a few seconds to take it in and the light turned green. Me going this way and them going the other, what to do!?! I just pointed to EC (being my cool, I see two of my musical faves on the street everyday, self) said, "Good show last night", EC said thanks. That was it, just kept walking no big deal-like, although inside I am thinking "Dave and Elvis, DAVE and ELVIS... right there!!!" Was bummed I didn't say hi to DH, but I figured it was and EC concert and I'm more likley to see DH again in person before EC.

A cool ending to my "off to Baltimore to see a show" trip.

Offline una amiga

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:45:44 pm »
What a great story!!  You're a very lucky fan!!

Offline crosstoby

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 01:52:44 pm »
My wife Cheryl and I went to the fabulous Paramount Theater in Oakland, CA to see Elvis about a month ago, and he was great as usual.  It always helps when the new music is good.  It would be very cool to have seen our man Dave sit in...especially if Steve Nieve was playing too.  That would be a very nice band indeed.  

The setlists look very cool (and pleasantly different from the Paramount show)...I wonder if anyone captured it for future listening pleasure.  If you haven't seen Elvis, he plays nice long shows, lots of songs, very strong songs at that, plus he's funny and engaging without being overly chatty onstage.  We've seen him a whole bunch of times over the years, and it's very cool to see two of my two favorite artists converge for some live shows.

Best,
Jon

Offline Duderino

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 09:15:16 pm »
Thanx, Midnite. I love reading stories like that.

Offline tfranchi

• http://www.snowbasin.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 11:51:51 am »
:shock:  saw elvis in salt lake great show  wish the pickups played more shows but cant get everything :cry:     any tapers grab these pickup shows?   8)
it doesn't seem like it

Offline midnite

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 03:43:34 pm »
Security was pretty strict at the Baltimore show. I am not sure if anyone was able to tape it as the management made it real clear no pics/taping allowed. One guy in front of me (close to stage in front of DH) got taken away for taking pics with his phone. There was another guy in front of me with a huge lens, thought for sure he was press because the camera was very obvious, but a big security guard took him "aside" as well. Taping may have been a different matter.

Hard to make the show better, but having Steve there playing keyboards may have done it. Although, on the EC tunes that prominently feature piano/organ they did a great job even without Steve. Not better, but different, and still very good. EC did play some electronic piano on "Almost Blue", but just that one song.

I am surprised no other members here have posted about this show, I couldn't have been the only one there. Maybe I just presumed some fans in Los Lobos shirt/attire meant they too frequent The Neighborhood. The reaction to DH was pretty strong, it was clear there were many people there to see DH as well.

Was definitely worth the effort to travel from SF to Baltimore.