Author Topic: Wah Wah Pedals  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Shiney Mike

• Rock & Roll
Wah Wah Pedals
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:05:43 am »
Hey tech types...I need to go out and purchase a Wah Wah.

The one I got to replace the crybaby was a toy. A Danelectro shaped like a car. I thought it sounded OK, but it couldn't stand up under pressure...the pedal cracked, just from stepping on it.

Now I want a good one and I'm gonna go out and try a few out.
Anybody got any favorites...
Do you think I should spend a lot of extra dough for a Bud-wah, or other new boutique design?

Thanks for any ideas/experience/suggestions.
I first heard 'em in 84 - always want more...

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
Re: Wah Wah Pedals
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:02 am »
I've had a Vox reissue for a dozen years or so; and it works OK. Fairly noisy; but you'd expect that since the basic circuit hasn't changed for what, almost 50 years now. If'n I had the cash to spend, I'd probably look at a Fulltone pedal.
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline Shiney Mike

• Rock & Roll
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »
No Fulltone at Gelb - spent a few minutes in there with Jordan (sales guy).
Tried a Budwah, Vox, and Crybaby - the Vox sounded good. Not too much buckage needed.
For now I'm still looking. 
Thanks for the opinion.

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:34:29 pm »
If it helps in your consideration: Cesar uses a Vox.
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline Shiney Mike

• Rock & Roll
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:20:19 am »
Here's how things are turning out - Not really because of Cesar, but he does always seem to have great tone, about a month ago I went in a big independent Music Store here, called Gelb, and bought a VOX pedal - tried one from the rack, got one in a box - took it home unpacked it, and plugged in, only to find this crazy short out whenever I rocked all the way back - took it back, traded for a Crybaby, which I kept for a week 'til a tooth started to catch and so I traded it in for a Budda Wah - which I have had for a few weeks, I don't know if it was realy that much better than the VOX but it is sworking better mechanically - On one hand they folks at Gelb were great, having me exchange for different pedals, but on the other, are these pedals always imperfect out of the box - even the Budda is clicking too loud - I pryed one of the two spacers out to quiet the noise, (which wouldn't bother anyone unles they were tracking live in the room...  ) but it still clicks too loud.