Author Topic: Best 70's Rock n' Roll Bands  (Read 2329 times)

Offline dgale

• Archivist
    • http://loslobos.setlist.com/
Best 70's Rock n' Roll Bands
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
Alright as a follow-up to my late 70's stadium band topic, let's pay homage to the true Monsters of '70's Rock n' Roll.  This is the best overall bands of the decade - again, not necessarily your favorites but the ones that most epitomized the sound and spirit of the decade who who are truly all 70's.  Also, limit this to Rock-n-Roll - other genres need a separate list.  Here's my initial top 5:

The Allman Brothers Band (I know they started up in the late 60's but I feel their '70-'73 stuff is their signature era)
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Led Zeppelin (I know some folks don't care for them but come on, these guys oozed the 70's)
Yes
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Honorable Mention to Johnny Winter/Rick Derringer/Edgar Winter's White Trash.

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
Re: Best 70's Rock n' Roll Bands
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
The Who (again started in the 60's; but...)
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline dgale

• Archivist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
Yeah, I struggled with the Who, as I thought of them most in their prime in the 60's, but clearly they were not 70's slouchers.  I think Live at Leeds was recorded in the early 70s and that is one of the all time great Live Albums IMO. 

Stephen Maki

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »
Traffic ?

Offline dgale

• Archivist
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »
Traffic fell in the same category as the Who - I thought of them as in their prime in the late 60's but clearly they had an impact in the early 70s and were a huge R&R presence not matter where they fell.  I guess this should be re-done to break the decade down by early, mid and late 70s.  Hard to leave a band like Yes out of the list but they can hardly compete with the likes of The Who and Traffic - apples and oranges as the 70's evolved. 

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Neil Young & The Santa Monica Flyers
Neil Young & The Stray Gators
The Kinks
The Clash

(More Than)Honorable mention:
The Talking Heads
Hot Tuna
Allman Brothers Band
Rolling Stones

-dontspookthehorse

Offline RobertG

• obtuse Anglo
  • SpongeBillyBob
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
Zappa's bands from the Roxy & Elsewhere era of the early '70s kicked ass with musicians like the Fowler brothers Tom and Bruce, George Duke, Ruth Underwood, Ralph Humphrey and/or Chester Thompson.  Bring the band on down behind me, boys, and Napoleon will tell us about that Pygmy Twylyte.

Yes, early Traffic is tremendous!!!  Just yesterday got their first two albums.  You should research the different versions of that first album before buying it on CD.  I may get another copy, one re-titled Heaven Is In Your Mind, which is the remastered US stereo release.  Check out their live performance of 40,000 Headsmen from 1968.
Robert

Whenever asked to gauge my pain, I want to answer
with a complex number, part real and part imaginary.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
Mostly late 70s, but Cheap Trick has always been underappreciated in my book... as a matter of fact I was listening to In Color last night and for a album that came out in 1977 it still holds up real well... I think they're problem is they never really got out from under the shadow of Budokan (though Dream Police was an excellent follow up)...

Oh, and The Who was definitely my favorite band of the 70s overall... maybe past their peak, but for me they were "it"...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline justafan

• Ragtime Millionaire
  • Sittin' in yaya
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
Delany & Bonnie & Friends

Mahavishnu Orchestra

JoJo Gunn

Traffic

Rolling Stones

The Who

Frank Zappa

Pink Floyd

Allman Bros.

Grateful Dead

George Clinton/Funkadelic

John Hiatt

The Ramones

Elvis Costello

The Pretenders

Talking Heads

Brinsley Schwarz

The Clash

Rockpile

Graham Parker & the Rumour

While some of these bands origins date to the '60s, their careers spanned multiple decades. Besides, some people say that, musically, at least, the '70s did not start until about 1973.  If that is the case, then it is the shortest decade on record for rock 'n roll because the onslaught of disco nearly killed it entirely a few short years later. First disco song I ever heard on the radio was the Hughes Corporation's "Rock The Boat."

And,  certainly,  we can't let Humble Pie escape mention on this list of '70s Best Of !  :banger:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:10:21 PM by justafan »

Offline dgale

• Archivist
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
Wow, somne good additions.  Kinks are a great one.  I can't go with the Rolling Stones, as even though they had some great albums in the 70s, I still think their legacy in from the 60's.  Pink Floyd are a tough on on this front as well but in reality their best years and best albums were in the 70s so they clearly deserve a spot on this list.  I also can't go with the Grateful Dead - obviously a huge fan and they had their best years IMO in the '73-'77 era, but I don't really think they epitimize the 70's sound...they only really fit in one category and that's their own.  Talking Heads are another good one - I had R&R on the brain but certainly as theings evolved later in the decade with New Wave et al., they were the kings. 

Offline El Chaparro

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
Of what I can remember, these are the ones I saw in the seventies, don’t know if they all started in the seventies, cause all I remember is piling into a car with my buddies, and getting to the venue, and that’s about all I can remember besides bits and pieces and highlight flashes in my mind..... :yack: :yack:

Black Sabbath
Lou Reed
Mott the Hoople
Eric Clapton/Derek & the Dominos
Rush
Kinks
Doobie Brothers
Bad Company
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Walsh
Yes
Foreigner
Kansas
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Heart
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
Captain Beefheart
Golden Earring
David Bowie
REO Speedwagon
Who Needs Hair?

Offline notimewarp

• The fear of being eaten by a sandwich...
    • NOTIMEWARP MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »
I'll pitch in votes for the Stones, Floyd, Allmans, NY, Skynyrd, Clash, Heads, Dead, Jeff Beck even, Bowie, The Band...

The Stones did kinda book-end the decade with great albums and coasted in the middle a bit (I still like 'em). JB did his own thing and spawned the whole fusion thing. The Clash and Talking Heads were two of the strongest bands to come outta the punk/wave thing. I'd like to also give a nod to the Pretenders and Police but they only squeezed in a coupla albums in before the end of the decade (James Honeyman-Scott woulda/coulda been one of the greats). The Band could still fall under your 60's argument but they were pretty B.A. in the 70's too. Bowie had some great records scattered here and there but he was more of an influence with his total package (sound + vision) than just his records alone.

Offline justafan

• Ragtime Millionaire
  • Sittin' in yaya
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I also forgot to mention:

Leon Russell - his "Carnie" was a big favorite for a while

That li'l ol' band from Texas - ZZ Top

and what about Joe Cocker and that whole "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c

:)

Offline notimewarp

• The fear of being eaten by a sandwich...
    • NOTIMEWARP MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh! How could I fer-git the awesomeness of the Rev. Willie G.?? ???

Offline justafan

• Ragtime Millionaire
  • Sittin' in yaya
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
Another oversight:

Lowell George/Little Feat

Offline Chotes

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
The Stones
The Grateful Dead
The Band

the end
Soy Chingon y Me Levante Tarde! .....Y que?