Author Topic: It's a small world in the Neighborhood...  (Read 2134 times)

Offline hellpups

It's a small world in the Neighborhood...
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »
So I was minding my own business on public transit the other day when this guy gets on my train with his bike... he sits down in the row of seats in front of me and then turns to me with this big smile, offers his hand, and says "are you Hellpups?"... I was like WTF?, but then the guy says something else, which was "Hi I'm EddieG"... We had a very nice chat on our commute about many things including of course Los Lobos, and we exchanged numbers and promised to get together with Mr Crack for a beer... another friend made through this strange thing we call an online community and I've got to say how much I love that... Since I moved out to California in '98 I've had the good fortune to make so many lasting connections through this site and through the band itself... First there was Ms Yanet, whom I consider a very close friend now, and even though she's not on the site much anymore I'm in touch with her all the time... then there's that irascible mountain of kindness (odd for such an irascible fellow) and generosity, not to mention Los Lobos lore, Ric, whom even though I think I've only spent ten minutes in the real world company of, I consider my vato mentor and brother... Then Crack of course, who let's me tag along more than I would let someone as needy as myself... and Annette who has repeatedly made time in her schedule for me when she's in my part of the world... and Monstruo, and Jim, and Kosh1313 (a real friend on Facebook), and RasBobre, and Dan... and OMG my dearest Justafan... and Chotes (in many disguises) and Voodoostrat, and SteveJ, and Myles... and I know I'm missing folks and I'm going to be embarrassed when I discover who I did forget... and of course the band themselves and their wonderful kind and friendly crew... so thanks all and thank you Los Lobos for making it all possible with the wonderful music that keeps us all connected....

So let me know your stories and connections through the Neighborhood... we're so lucky to be here....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:12:47 pm by hellpups »
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline rovalle

Re: It's a small world in the Neighborhood...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:34:57 pm »
Gawrsh!!!!
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:36 pm »
Always a pleasure, Mr. 'pups, and I thank you for often being available for a drink (and/or Bangkok Noodles) when I hit town. Who knows when the next time will be - you know what would be cool? If a bunch of us could go see the Boys at City Winery in NYC Dec. 20-22. (Fat chance, I know - even friggin' Megabus from Pittsburgh is $72 each way that close to Christmas.) One way or another, though, there WILL be a next time.

Offline EddieG

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »
yeah, this dude was radiating Lobo-ness*.
Plus I'd seen his picture here and in audience photos, so i ambushed him on the BART.

Very nice, unlike Crack.
Crack radiated an almost criminal intensity about his immediate person.
But when un-masked, he told me the most hilarious stories about life on the Los Lobos trail.
I was laughing all day.

I missed Chotes by 5 minutes because of not having my shit together in LA one day.

Annette and I have seriously bonded over late night drinkies, I wished she lived here.

but it's a great board.
eddie

*"Lobo-ness"- an ineffable quality of coolness.
"We'll leave it to you guys to keep track of the putocracy."- Steve J.

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:10:40 pm »

easily the nicest compliment i've received in a long time

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:38 am »
Who knows when the next time will be - you know what would be cool? If a bunch of us could go see the Boys at City Winery in NYC Dec. 20-22. (Fat chance, I know - even friggin' Megabus from Pittsburgh is $72 each way that close to Christmas.) One way or another, though, there WILL be a next time.

I don't know anyone here really but I will be at City Winery for the Mon 12/22 show. If anybody else is going and wants to meet up just let me know.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:49:38 pm »

easily the nicest compliment i've received in a long time

Just ask any staff member at most mid-sized music venues between Eureka and SLO...  :ticking:
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 12:09:29 am »
just don't ask the Mountain Winery folks  ;D

aw who am i kidding those people have all been fired by now

Offline EddieG

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »
So what's the plans or whatever for drinking before the show.

Offline EddieG

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »
So what's the plans or whatever for drinking before the show.

I must expand on this post.
It was done in haste and I pressed submit before I could ponder the ramifications.
Not to mention my lack of punctuation.

So we might need refreshments as early as 8 or so.
What time do the boys start?

This time of year is also just after harvest, so I might have treats.
No, I will have treats.

eddie

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:58 pm »
so i'm on my way to my neighborhood grocery store this morning, driving past the Alameda County Family Courts building, and i see an alarmingly handsome bespectacled man in a suit waiting to cross the street in front of me. being a courteous driver, i yielded to this man and allowed him passage via the crosswalk in front of me. as he passed in front of the bow of the U.S.S. Crack i recognized this man as none other than JesseTheLawyer.

it's a small world out there :)

Offline unclebuck

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »
When you talk about a small world,how about me and Myles attending the same elementary school?Hancock school in Lexington Mass.sits about 200 yards from the battle green where the first shots of the American Revolution were fired.Myles had to walk by this historic place almost every day he lived there.Blew my mind when I realized we were in the same school so long ago.I`m guessing he`s a lot cooler now than back then.Certainly been a good friend to me.

Offline Myles

• FOLL
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:17:33 pm »
Thanks for not running over Jessethelawyer.  He buys at least 6 LL caps a year because he keeps losing them.  I'd be out of business.
What's even weirder about Uncle Buck and me going to the same elementary school 50+ years ago is that we somehow figured that out as total strangers at a Los Lobos show.  Amazing.
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Offline bigbamcake

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »
Man living north of NYC me and mrs Bam miss all your guys good lovin out there  in LaLa land!!!

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 04:02:58 pm »
Man living north of NYC me and mrs Bam miss all your guys good lovin out there  in LaLa land!!!

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH
bay area bro

Offline mcamp

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:20:19 pm »
Who knows when the next time will be - you know what would be cool? If a bunch of us could go see the Boys at City Winery in NYC Dec. 20-22. (Fat chance, I know - even friggin' Megabus from Pittsburgh is $72 each way that close to Christmas.) One way or another, though, there WILL be a next time.

I don't know anyone here really but I will be at City Winery for the Mon 12/22 show. If anybody else is going and wants to meet up just let me know.

What, no Boston shows?