Author Topic: Thoughts about Rhea (justafan)  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Annette Bassett

Thoughts about Rhea (justafan)
« on: May 13, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
I've been thinking about Rhea ever since I read Jim's post Monday. I've been wishing there was something I/we could do, and there's really nothing but praying, I guess.

But I thought I'd start a thread devoted to memories, thoughts, good times some of us have had with Rhea over the years. She was a big part of our virtual family, and attended lots of shows, as we know.

My thoughts: I saw Rhea at a number of shows here in the PA/Ohio area, and at least once out at the Fillmore. She was a fun companion, and i never had to worry about being the only one dancing when she was there. I remember joining yanet (Janet), Rhea, and a friend of Janet's at a show in Buffalo in '07, I think, when the Lobos were touring with John Mellencamp. After the show, Janet, Rhea, and I hung out at the hotel bar talking to traveling salesmen, as i recall. One was a big April Wine fan - April Wine?? First time we had heard of them in years and years. Rhea and Janet went on to the Rochester Lobos/Mellencamp show, but I was lucky enough just to see the Lobos.

She lined up her daughter to watch my kids at the hotel when we went to a Lobos show in  Columbus in 2008 - the kids were almost old enough to stay alone, but not quite. Her daughter got sick and couldn't make it, but I sure appreciated Rhea's efforts.

I remember she brought ribs for all the guys and crew for Conrad's birthday one year.

I was impressed/jealous when it came to her devotion to the New Orleans jazzfest - a week/ten days in New Orleans sounded pretty good to me. I had never liked blues, but seeing how much she and other board friends liked it, I started listening some again. Maybe it's an age thing...starting to like it pretty well these days.

I wish Don Hueske was still around here; I know he had a couple of nice Rhea encounters.

She is smart and funny and passionate and not shy, and I hope I will see her again.

Anyone else?

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
Re: Thoughts about Rhea (justafan)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:44:21 am »
I wish Don Hueske was still around here; I know he had a couple of nice Rhea encounters.

Don & I shared a hotel room in Sparks in 2001, maybe 2002
a few of us (justafan, Yanet, Janet2 & a few others) were completely trashed
Don was the first to pass out
Rhea immediately started balancing things on his passed-out head and taking pics like it was a frat party
i SO wish i still had that crappy old phone so i could share the pics...we laughed until we passed out

love you Rhea

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:39:49 am »
this is kinda bumming me the fuck out

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:41:31 am »

Don & I shared a hotel room in Sparks in 2001, maybe 2002 - EDIT: probably closer to 2004
Rhea immediately started balancing things on his passed-out head and taking pics like it was a frat party
i SO wish i still had that crappy old phone so i could share the pics...we laughed until we passed out

love you Rhea

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:30:57 am »
It saddens me to post this but I've just been informed that Rhea has left our world. Such a generous spirit.  I shared a connection with her through this group and the Jazzfest crowd and I'm overwhelmed by the stories shared by folks from both forums as to her unconditional generosity and spirit. I met her just a few times, here in Lobos land and in New Orleans, and she was a sweetheart to me each and every time. No agenda, no angle, just spreading the gospel of sharing and reaching out. I'm a better person for knowing her.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:07:49 pm by Jim »

Offline mockingbird

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:24:15 pm »
Que descanse en paz.

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:13:21 pm »
I am very sad to hear this. Damn. She loved Los Lobos so much. This is just so unfair, and I don't know what else to say.

Offline yanet

• http://www.msyanet.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 04:58:06 pm »
hi neighbors, it's been a while since i stopped by.  like so many of us, i'm thinking about our dear Rhea Joyce. the trip we took to rochester that annette mentioned was so much fun, she was so generous to drive me there and share her hotel room. we had a blast after the show in a hotel bar with the guys, getting shitty and telling terrible but funny jokes.

that was the thing with her, you weren't ever going to have a bad time.

found this photo of her from that trip, this was in buffalo, where the guys did a one-off in a tiny club...it was an awesome show. left to right, Annette, Myles, Rhea, me, and my friend Donna.

ponygirl/lobogirl/justafan Rhea, RJ, you will be missed here in lobos world.  see you on the other side  :8):

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 05:42:53 pm »
Times like this I wish I'd spent more time dancing in the crowd and less time recording. Gonna miss you, RJ.
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline kikolobo

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:05 pm »
We had a common passion for Los Lobos and New Orleans music. I met her at the Fillmore a few times along with other friends from this forum. I know she was much beloved by her NOLA friends and of course here in the 'hood. I enjoyed her posts from the Jazz Fests with her show reviews and fun times. I played some songs(mixing LL and LA. music) for her tonight on my program "Louisiana Gumbo Show on WSLR 96.5". You can listen at archive.wslr.org . It will be up for 2 weeks.

Offline Myles

• FOLL
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:19:42 pm »
Oh Janet, thank you so much for posting that photo.  It helps alot.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:32:54 pm »
Rhea was an exemplar of what is great about this site and the Lobos community in general... She like so many others here have become my true friends over the years and for a guy who moved from the East Coast to the West Coast with very few friends on the other side that was no small thing... Rhea in particular held her own in our many rambunctious discussions and while always very generous of heart she wasn't beyond a little sly jab (always meant in good spirit) when the moment warranted it... I knew her mostly through social media and she was a great friend through Facebook with so many kind comments about my children, but I am also glad to say two Fillmore weekends past I had the privilege and simple wild fun of hanging out with her before during and after the shows... This site has slowed down in recent years and most of us just pass through now, but I can tell you that now it will never be the same place without her presence, love and spunk... so long my friend I hope the Lobos jam one in your honor....
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline EddieG

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:04 pm »
was she the one who rode horses, maybe lived in/around Colorado?

I loved her posts. Didn't know her but she had some pepper in her.

RIP, justafan.
"We'll leave it to you guys to keep track of the putocracy."- Steve J.

Offline yanet

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 02:52:15 pm »

Don & I shared a hotel room in Sparks in 2001, maybe 2002

i do have this one shot of DH cuddled up in the bedspread from that event...what a great trip that was  :8):

Offline yanet

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
in case anyone would like to send a note to Rhea's family (husband Alan Dine, daughter Kelsa) here is the mailing address i have for her.
9209 Debold Koebel Rd., Pleasant Plain, OH 45162

:'(

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »
in case anyone would like to send a note to Rhea's family (husband Alan Dine, daughter Kelsa) here is the mailing address i have for her.
9209 Debold Koebel Rd., Pleasant Plain, OH 45162

:'(

Thanks, Janet. Apparently, in lieu of flowers, Rhea's family is asking for donations to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation, Att'n: In Memory of Rhea Joyce King, 1205 N. Rampart St., New Orleans< LA 70116.