Author Topic: The future of Los Lobos?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline bostondavid

Re: The future of Los Lobos?
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 09:16:51 am »
Colonel Bruce Hampton says pop music sucks today like it did in 1962 before the Beatles emerged. That is consistent with the clip I posted which compares Sgt. Pepper's (a high bar) to the crap coming out now, and analyzes the poor musical content on a technical level. That clip argues that the music industry is driving the crapification of pop music by dumbing everything down. Col. Bruce is optimistic and I hope he's right, but I think it's tougher to than ever to make a living as a musician. Unless you're a superstar there's no money in records, so that leaves live shows, mainly one-nighters, which are a young man's game. I hope Col. Bruce is right and we are on the cusp of a new musical era but the financial issues for musicians, especially with the nationwide economic insecurity for all but the super-rich, have to be addressed. People have to eat. Maybe there could be a network of music-lovers that funds bands like GoFundMe does for other causes. I think LL even tried this for one show but I suspect it needs to be a secure network of funding, not a one-off for single show. I'd love to hear other ideas.

Offline mcamp

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 12:34:26 pm »
With that said, jazz continues to release new music.
The product is not going to sell millions, maybe not even >10k.
But new music continually comes out, gets performed live, and by all accounts the musicians seem to make a living.....but that is not pop music.
But by all accounts, pop music was always intended for the masses, and not considered for people who have high regard of its musical merits.
The difference today; lack of new, innovative rock music. Most of what is regarded as "new", is merely a regurgitated version of a past sound....aka...Greta Van Fleet....big deal, sounds like Led Zeppelin....is that supposed to get me excited? :dozey:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:45:41 pm by mcamp »

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:32 pm »
Waiting for word about the Minneapolis Zoo shows - that's a thing, right?  There's one scheduled at the Lincoln, Nebraska zoo this summer, but that's not a thing, right? It's Minneapolis? 'Cause if it's a two show gig, I'm going to try to go out. I've wanted to see the Twin Cities for awhile. (I gotta talk to Myles.)

As for what I'm listening to: well, I think my tastes might be a little poppier in some ways, because I am a female, after all. :o  They Might Be Giants has a good new album, and the first track, "Let's Get This Over With," is perfect. My favorite song of the year so far.

I got to see Robbie Fulks a couple of weeks ago, which was awesome. His last two albums, "Gone Away Backward" and "Upland Stories," are absolutely beautiful. And check this out: he produced an album 10-12 years ago called "Touch My Heart: A Tribute to Johnny Paycheck." It's got Neko Case, Dave Alvin, George Jones (!), Buck Owens (!), and other cool people doing some great Paycheck songs. Hard to get - I had to email Robbie to get my copy, and the CD cover's cracked but he sold it to me anyway, because there are so few left, I guess. Excellent.

My favorite find of the last few years continues to be Robert Ellis, and I wish I could get people to listen to him. He's unique: fantastic jazz-inflected Americana melodies, fine lyrics.

And my daughter bought us tickets to see Andrew McMahon next month: he's a favorite of both of ours but I'm not sure how many of you would go for him. Piano pop, a little like Ben Folds.

A question (if anyone has read this far): Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore are touring together, and coming to town in June. Has anyone heard anything about this? Curious as to what it might be like.

Offline iarooster

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:30 pm »
A question (if anyone has read this far): Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore are touring together, and coming to town in June. Has anyone heard anything about this? Curious as to what it might be like.
I'm curious about the Dave Alvin/Jimmie Dale Gilmore as well. It'll probably be about like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3E7h9zR2w

Offline CloudyPath

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 12:58:07 am »
Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale are releasing a collaborative album on the Yep Roc label on June 1, described by Rolling Stone: "the record will double down on the pair's fascination with American roots music, which they've explored separately since Alvin founded roots punk group the Blasters and Gilmore was a member of country trio the Flatlanders" in https://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/dave-alvin-jimmie-dale-gilmore-prep-collaborative-lp-w517113
Sounds like a winner, to me.

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:38 am »
his foot went over the line
mark it 8, Dude

Offline skaggs

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:17 pm »
mark it 8, Dude

it's a league game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6_f5gci28

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2018, 08:17:17 am »
Skaggs:

Thanks for the Marcus King suggestion. Good stuff. And he's just a kid.

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »
mark it 8, Dude

it's a league game...

Smokey you are entering a world of pain

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 01:47:31 pm »
The Greyhounds just released "Cheyenne Valley Drive." I'm a few listens in and I really like it.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:31 am »

I suspect they will simply be trading tunes and it will be excellent... both of those guys are always excellent... go if you can... they are playing in the Bay Area and I'm thinking about making the effort myself...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline iarooster

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:23 am »
Waiting for word about the Minneapolis Zoo shows - that's a thing, right?  There's one scheduled at the Lincoln, Nebraska zoo this summer, but that's not a thing, right? It's Minneapolis? 'Cause if it's a two show gig, I'm going to try to go out. I've wanted to see the Twin Cities for awhile. (I gotta talk to Myles.)
Just got an email from Sue McLean & Associates with the Minneapolis Zoo series line-up-- Los Lonely Boys but no Los Lobos.

And as a side note, the Lincoln show is like a street fest sponsored by a bar-- The Zoo Bar. LL has a 9-11 p.m. slot on Friday, July 6.

Offline iarooster

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 11:43:40 am »
On the other hand, the Mavericks are scheduled for a Saturday/Sunday in August; LL is on a co-bill with them a month later in Oregon...

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 11:45:47 pm »
The Mavericks are coming to Pittsburgh's annual Three Rivers Arts Festival in June - free show and a crazy time, I'm sure. Looking forward to it. (Though I'd love to see both bands together.)

Very bummed about the Minneapolis Zoo. I'd like to hit the road to see LL sometime this summer, but so far it looks like all New England or west coast - too far for me. (They're in DC area Friday night, and I'll be in there Sunday - but I have to work on Saturday, so no long weekend for me. :()

I hope something comes up. We'll see...