Author Topic: Los Lobos vs The Shins  (Read 412 times)

Offline hellpups

Los Lobos vs The Shins
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:01:19 am »
Talk about seemingly strange bedfellows, but I like both bands and I hope I can get my hands on a copy of this... from the clip below it sounds great...

I also think this says a lot about how Los Lobos is more or less a "universal" musical group... what Nietzsche would have call the essential essence or "ur eine"... lots of respect from a wide range of artists and you can never really pin down their "style" no matter how hard you try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DCC9vDPel8&feature=youtu.be
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline rovalle

Re: Los Lobos vs The Shins
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:19 pm »
...you can never really pin down their "style" no matter how hard you try...

Their style is effin' awesome...  :8):   
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline unclebuck

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:26:25 pm »
...you can never really pin down their "style" no matter how hard you try...

Their style is effin' awesome...  :8):
Ric,my sentiment exactly.Didn`t know ASS KICKING MUSIC was a style.

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »
OK. Where the heck can I buy this CD? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:51:21 am »

I believe it was a Record Store Day release so good luck with that... might want to start with Ebay... sorry for creating the temptation...

The first Latin Playboys record also came out as a Record Store Day vinyl offer... I didn't know until a Neighbor informed me... that kind soul also grabbed me a copy and is mailing it this week... I love this place...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline voodoostrat

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:18:50 pm »

It’s on iTunes...not vinyl, but...
All that stuff you heard about lard, they're all lies, lard is like the... I'm sorry (laughs)... It's the juice of life...

-David Hidalgo 2014-01-11

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:04:57 am »

Thanks, digital is what I want. But I can't locate it on iTunes. It was supposed to be released digitally on April 23 by Aural Apothecary/Monotone. But I can't find that either.

Here is a bigger question: I try to avoid Apple and Amazon for my music purchases. I prefer buying straight from the band but that isn't always possible. Does anyone know of a good online music store that I can use instead of Apple and Amazon?

Thanks again.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:17:12 am »

Thanks, digital is what I want. But I can't locate it on iTunes. It was supposed to be released digitally on April 23 by Aural Apothecary/Monotone. But I can't find that either.

Here is a bigger question: I try to avoid Apple and Amazon for my music purchases. I prefer buying straight from the band but that isn't always possible. Does anyone know of a good online music store that I can use instead of Apple and Amazon?

Thanks again.

Actually it did come out in vinyl for Record Store UK https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2018/los-lobos-vs-the-shins/ which is where I originally saw the release... it was released by Third Man Records (Jack White's Label) https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/exclusive-releases-for-record-store-day-2018new-blog-post/ and maybe if you contact their store in either Detroit or Nashville you might get lucky... I don't know nothing about no iTunes and I avoid them like the plague though I'll admit to shopping through Amazon from time to time (especially if I can get vinyl with an accompanying MP3 rip)... Bandcamp is a good place to go for some indie stuff but otherwise I usually go directly through a band's site (as long as they don't refer me to iTunes)... I think the last iTunes purchase I made was Cesar's (bring it back to LL folks) last solo effort (excellente btw) which I think was only available via Apple...

Also, regardless of what you may think of Jack White there is an interesting six degrees of separation thing going on here... He was also instrumental is the excellent American Epic "Sessions" which included a track by LL... that work is definitely worth checking out and has LL performing El Cascabel on recording equipment from 1925... here's the video footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuJATKav5U.... My feelings on White are mixed (love the White Stripes, hate his solo crap) but I have deep respect for what he's done with Third Man, especially those old timey Paramount releases etc.
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
Jesus, my fingers want to type one thing, and David prevents me. Good on all y'all.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline voodoostrat

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 12:16:18 am »

Thanks again.

Seems like it's gone now, I listened to it Saturday...

Love my Sony M10  ;D
All that stuff you heard about lard, they're all lies, lard is like the... I'm sorry (laughs)... It's the juice of life...

-David Hidalgo 2014-01-11

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:05:46 am »
Actually it did come out in vinyl for Record Store UK https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2018/los-lobos-vs-the-shins/ which is where I originally saw the release... it was released by Third Man Records (Jack White's Label) https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/exclusive-releases-for-record-store-day-2018new-blog-post/ and maybe if you contact their store in either Detroit or Nashville you might get lucky... I don't know nothing about no iTunes and I avoid them like the plague though I'll admit to shopping through Amazon from time to time (especially if I can get vinyl with an accompanying MP3 rip)... Bandcamp is a good place to go for some indie stuff but otherwise I usually go directly through a band's site (as long as they don't refer me to iTunes)... I think the last iTunes purchase I made was Cesar's (bring it back to LL folks) last solo effort (excellente btw) which I think was only available via Apple...

Also, regardless of what you may think of Jack White there is an interesting six degrees of separation thing going on here... He was also instrumental is the excellent American Epic "Sessions" which included a track by LL... that work is definitely worth checking out and has LL performing El Cascabel on recording equipment from 1925... here's the video footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuJATKav5U.... My feelings on White are mixed (love the White Stripes, hate his solo crap) but I have deep respect for what he's done with Third Man, especially those old timey Paramount releases etc.

I have been assisted by a friendly Neighbor and I'm now all set with the LL-Shins.

I used Amazon for Cesar's "Live From The Galaxy," and, yeah, it is pretty good. Thanks for the BandCamp suggestion. I agree re: Jack White (whom I will see at Jazzfest next weekend). Some of his stuff is terrific but other stuff leaves me cold. We saw him some years ago at Jazzfest (I cannot remember which post-Stripes configuration) and I thought he was awful. But other tunes are really good. And he sure does seem like a Music Lover!

Thanks for help, Neighbors!

Offline mcamp

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 08:22:07 am »
So what's the verdict?
How does it sound; I haven't picked it up yet.

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:43 am »
So what's the verdict?
How does it sound; I haven't picked it up yet.

Sounds good, like pretty much everything LL does.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:58 pm »
I was listening to my Spotify "discovery" list last night (sort of a custom made list of new stuff they do a good job putting together) and I'm hearing this song that isn't familiar but I know that is David Hidalgo singing so I go over to check it out and low and behold it is The Fear... so anyway the track is on Spotify and it sounds lovely... Wish I knew who the woman was singing on the track... I'm assuming this means it is likely on other services and maybe even on iTunes (I don't do iTunes anymore)... enjoy
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline hellpups

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 01:36:04 pm »
I was listening to my Spotify "discovery" list last night (sort of a custom made list of new stuff they do a good job putting together) and I'm hearing this song that isn't familiar but I know that is David Hidalgo singing so I go over to check it out and low and behold it is The Fear... so anyway the track is on Spotify and it sounds lovely... Wish I knew who the woman was singing on the track... I'm assuming this means it is likely on other services and maybe even on iTunes (I don't do iTunes anymore)... enjoy

p.s. I just checked and it is on Amazon as a download (.99) and they even have vinyl copies ($30, think I'll pass on that)...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline thatdamnracket

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:47:32 pm »
$30 bucks is steep. I'm sure its from a third party seller since Amazon does not get Record Store Day releases.  If anyone is still interested in the vinyl.  You can find many copies around the $15 mark on discogs here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/11897294?ev=rb