Author Topic: Cafe Tacvba fans  (Read 440 times)

Offline Jim

Cafe Tacvba fans
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:50 pm »
They will be doing a 5-night run at the Independent in SF in early September.

https://www.theindependentsf.com/event/1689804-cafe-tacvba-san-francisco/

Re: Cafe Tacvba fans
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:05:12 pm »
Whoa!!!  That's a long way from Buffalo, but it is my birthday 9/6... hmmm...?

Just seeing now that it's a big US Tour.  Chicago 9/29 purchased!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:20:15 pm by dontspookthehorse »

Offline hellpups

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:59:52 am »
They will be doing a 5-night run at the Independent in SF in early September.

https://www.theindependentsf.com/event/1689804-cafe-tacvba-san-francisco/

I was considering it, but I've seen them multiple times (first time was opening for LL in LA) so I decided I will pass on these... it should be noted the Independent is a tiny venue and holds only 500... should be great shows...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »
I can't remember if I've ever seen them. Did they open for Los Lobos at the Fillmore years ago?

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24:41 pm »
no, but 2 of the guys guested on 'La Venganza de los Pelados' (one guy sang the chorus and IIRC the other one played jarana) and they sat in during a few TV performances of the song during the promo push for The Ride

Offline Docego

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:44:31 pm »

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 12:10:49 am »
fun fact: ^that's (one of) my YouTube channel(s)^
fun fact 2: that's me in the crowd yelling "GODZILLA!" as Leno is introducing the band

that was a fun day in Burbank

Offline Myles

• FOLL
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:23:09 am »
Damn....I forgot how much those Cafe Tacuba guys added to the song.  Beautiful.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:51:07 am »
fun fact 2: that's me in the crowd yelling "GODZILLA!" as Leno is introducing the band

Didn't you and Dan just walk on set and take over the place?
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:02 pm »

Didn't you and Dan just walk on set and take over the place?

not exactly
we were pretty much outside the security checkpoint trying to figure out how we’re going to get in when Victor Bisetti pulled up (he was often the first person to show up to the venue tech his kit and set up)...we walked up right behind his Honda as he was getting his passes...we tapped the trunk, he saw us in the rear view, told the security guy “uh those guys are with me” and we walked in

Mando showed up about 30mins later and was like how the fuck did you guys get here before I did?

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 10:43:16 pm »
Oh mannnnnn!! I didn't know this was happening. So excited. The short clip of Ruben on their website was enough to do it for me.

Definitely will do Cleveland - the Agora is such a beat up, historic theater. Would love to see a couple of other shows - not SF, unfortunately, but maybe Detroit? or Toronto? Minneapolis would be a dream come true...

I'm loving this. So glad I checked in. Thanks, Jim!!

Hey, Buffalo buddy don'tspookthehorse - you're not doing Cleveland?

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »
Oh mannnnnn!! I didn't know this was happening. So excited. The short clip of Ruben on their website was enough to do it for me.

Definitely will do Cleveland - the Agora is such a beat up, historic theater. Would love to see a couple of other shows - not SF, unfortunately, but maybe Detroit? or Toronto? Minneapolis would be a dream come true...

Can't make it that Saturday.  I have super cool family that live in Pilsen (Chicago).  I've seen Tacvba at the Congress Theater and the first Ruidofest in Chicago.  Check out this picture from when they played a streetfest in Buffalo, June of 2005.  I was one of 8 people there.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 10:57:44 am »

Great photo... I love Buffalo and lived there for a bit back in the late 80s, but it is sad more folks didn't show up... it's a great music town with a very strong local scene...

Can't make it that Saturday.  I have super cool family that live in Pilsen (Chicago).  I've seen Tacvba at the Congress Theater and the first Ruidofest in Chicago.  Check out this picture from when they played a streetfest in Buffalo, June of 2005.  I was one of 8 people there.
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »

AMAZING picture. Trying to remember when the x and me became big fans - probably not as early as '05, but not long after. What an opportunity.

Offline JesseTheLawyer

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 08:07:24 am »
no, but 2 of the guys guested on 'La Venganza de los Pelados' (one guy sang the chorus and IIRC the other one played jarana)

That CD party in Hollywood (at the Roxy?) was one of the most fun shows I have been to. I really got off on seeing the guests on the studio recording play live with them, including Cafe Tacuba.  From that night I discovered/first heard Richard Thompson and Cafe Tacuba, since then I have become avid fans of both.

I remember Ruben wore his red chicken head hat for Venganza de los Pelados, I thought "I love him, such a dam freak".

Anyone else remember the show at the Hollywood Bowl with the dream lineup of Kinky, Cafe Tacuba, then Lobos?  That was a great night. Security kept hassling me for getting up and dancing. That was the night I came up "I have DVT, so I can't sit the whole show, or I might blow a clot....And, under the ADA you have to make a reasonable accommodation".....So, eventually their solution was to open up the side area to dance....And a decent sized group of dancers joined me there, helped to liven up the evening.

I'm doing the Independent on the Saturday show, 9/8.  After that was announced, Gov't Mule announced the west coast leg of their tour, and they are playing my home town Oakland the same night as the Cafe Tacuba. However, I planned a mini-tour for that week: Mule in Portland, and fly back for Cafe Tacuba. Then drive down to L.A. for the Wiltern Mule show.

But the best part is two days after Mule, is the Lobos show in Paso Robles! So, that's the last stop on my "mini-tour", looking forward to that week.

Thank You, Music Lovers

Offline iarooster

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 10:55:38 am »
Not Cafe Tacvba, but a few years ago I saw the boys at the Blue Note in Columbia, MO, with Making Movies opening. At least one member of MM sat in on just about every song with LL that night, and for La Venganza, they did the Cafe Tacvba vocal parts that the boys leave out. Dave joked that "they know the song better than we do."