Author Topic: The Space at Westbury  (Read 143 times)

Offline Kan-Man

The Space at Westbury
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:43:24 pm »
I had a real "circle of life" moment last night when I got to take my oldest son to his first Los Lobos show.

I've been following the band since the late 80s when I saw them open for U2 and the Dead and then continued seeing them in the NYC area through the 90s. As often is the case, when my wife and I moved out the burbs and started a family, I no longer had the resources to see them live.

My oldest son, Jackson, is 15 and in the past year or so has become passionate about music. He's grown his hair out, learned to play bass and has spent practically every waking moment listening to everything from classic rock to punk to metal to grunge.

Los Lobos doesn't come to Long Island too often and when they do, it's often in support of other bands. So when I saw they'd be headlining a show not too far from our house, I asked Jackson if he wanted to go. I was quite pleased when he gave an enthusiastic "yes."

The show itself was a bit of a mixed bag. Unfortunately, no Steve, so Jackson wasn't going to get the full LL experience. And Cesar was having problems with the sound throughout, to the point where he stopped playing on some songs (I don't know enough about sound engineering, but it seemed like the monitor set-up was the problem. He complained several times about how awful it sounded and thanked the audience for their understanding at the end. The one positive byproduct was more solos from Louie.)

I thought several of the songs were pretty rough around the edges, but I haven't seen them in almost 20 years and I've become pretty rough around the edges myself in that time.

Jackson's personal highlight was "Don't Keep Me Wondering" as he's recently discovered the Allman Brothers. For me, the band really began to swing during an impromptu "Farmer John."

So while the show itself might not have been perfect, getting to experience it with my son certainly was.
Peace!

AK

Offline hellpups

Re: The Space at Westbury
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:57:19 am »
Berlin's the "secret sauce"... holds that burger together...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline unclebuck

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:14 pm »
Or perhaps there was some Rye backstage or in the hotel rooms

Offline bigbamcake

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »
It was the bottle of Bulleit bourbon I brought!!