Author Topic: Looking for tips on Memphis  (Read 143 times)

Offline Annette Bassett

Looking for tips on Memphis
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »
Hi everyone -

So I'm visiting Memphis for the first time, Nov. 29-Dec. 2. I already have a music tour and Sun Studios visit lined up, and I definitely want to hit The National Civil Rights Museum and Lorraine Motel, Stax Museum - and apparently there are some ducks that march  ??? :). Graceland is a maybe.

Any other information is appreciated - best barbecue, good restaurants otherwise, live music bars (that a woman traveling alone might feel comfortable in), etc. Thanks for anything you have, folks. Looking forward to it!

Offline rovalle

Re: Looking for tips on Memphis
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:27:55 pm »
Hmmm...Rib tips, tri-tips and burnt ends are all I can come up with...
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline notimewarp

• Every other Christmas, I practice good behavior
      • NOTIMEWARP MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:10 pm »
I may be wrong (probably) but I would imagine BBQ in Memphis is like pizza in NYC; pick a place, any place...
She said "Why don't you come over to my place? There's nobody home". So I went over to her place... There was nobody home...

Offline Cdrtree

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
Ducks walk at Peabody Hotel..Charlie Vergos Rendezvous for BBQ..Safe is a relative term, so please keep your wits about you in Memphis. Graceland is worth a trip, but if downtown, it is not walkable. Stax Museum is awesome, as is anything even remotely Otis...Sun studios, although small just has all that historic value...same piano Elvis played is still there..Have a great time

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 05:48:44 pm »
Ducks walk at Peabody Hotel..Charlie Vergos Rendezvous for BBQ..Safe is a relative term, so please keep your wits about you in Memphis. Graceland is worth a trip, but if downtown, it is not walkable. Stax Museum is awesome, as is anything even remotely Otis...Sun studios, although small just has all that historic value...same piano Elvis played is still there..Have a great time

for a second i thought you were quoting that song 'Walking In Memphis'

Offline skaggs

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:33 pm »
If memory serves correctly, the cops don't need you, and man they expect the same. 

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:19 pm »
If memory serves correctly, the cops don't need you, and man they expect the same.

??? ???

Offline hellpups

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:07:08 am »
I've already weighed in, and then some, on this topic, but since you mentioned looking for a place to dine alone if you are a woman may I suggest this place... we ate there three years ago and the food and service were exceptional... and from the name obviously very feminine friendly....

http://thebeautyshoprestaurant.com/

To recap the others... STAX, Civil Rights Museum, and Sun are musts... Beale Street is a little overrated but also worth a visit (and it's a lot smaller than you think) and if you go definitely check out the WC Handy House at the end of the street... and if you're there and want a hamburger cooked in 100 year old grease you can check out Dyer's Burgers http://www.dyersonbeale.com/... and though I haven't been there myself I have friends who swear by Bardog Tavern http://www.bardog.com/... and a personal favorite is Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken http://gusfriedchicken.com/downtown-memphis-tennessee-location/ which lives up to the hype (and I'm fussy about my fried chicken) if you go be sure to check out the original location on Front St (and it's worth the wait)...

and of course Graceland if you like Elvis or kitsch or both (there's a shuttle that runs between Sun and Graceland that you can take advantage of if you don't want to drive)...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces