Author Topic: Louie's book  (Read 59 times)

Offline njwolf

Louie's book
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:09 am »
I purchased Louie's book (Good Morning Aztlan) and wanted to provide some information on it.
 It's a collection of just over 100 song lyrics, poems, and other writings. Each is accompanied by one of Louie's drawings. In addition, Louie provides a short introduction for each item. It reminded me of how he did the same thing for each song on the El Cancionero box set. The writings are divided into eight chapters under such headings as "Something Like Joy," "Lost Souls and Haunted Hearts" and "Something Called Love."
 The final section of the book is called Reflections on Music, Art and Life. It includes a 10-page interview with Louie by David Greenberger; a three-page appreciation of Louie as a songwriter by Dave Alvin; a discussion of Louie's visual artwork by Rodoflo Arena; and an essay by singer Martha Gonzalez of Quetzal on Los Lobos and the band's role in her musical development. Louie's wife, Mary, also contributes a short essay, and there are essays by Luis Torres and Luis J. Rodriguez.
 I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any fans of the band. In addition, Amazon's listing for the book lists the book as 170 pages long. It's actually 263 pages.