Author Topic: Louie's book  (Read 347 times)

Offline njwolf

Louie's book
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:09 am »
I purchased Louie's book (Good Morning Aztlan) and wanted to provide some information on it.
 It's a collection of just over 100 song lyrics, poems, and other writings. Each is accompanied by one of Louie's drawings. In addition, Louie provides a short introduction for each item. It reminded me of how he did the same thing for each song on the El Cancionero box set. The writings are divided into eight chapters under such headings as "Something Like Joy," "Lost Souls and Haunted Hearts" and "Something Called Love."
 The final section of the book is called Reflections on Music, Art and Life. It includes a 10-page interview with Louie by David Greenberger; a three-page appreciation of Louie as a songwriter by Dave Alvin; a discussion of Louie's visual artwork by Rodoflo Arena; and an essay by singer Martha Gonzalez of Quetzal on Los Lobos and the band's role in her musical development. Louie's wife, Mary, also contributes a short essay, and there are essays by Luis Torres and Luis J. Rodriguez.
 I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any fans of the band. In addition, Amazon's listing for the book lists the book as 170 pages long. It's actually 263 pages.

Offline kosh1313

Re: Louie's book
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:58:51 pm »
This ranks as an equal or beyond in my lyric book collection as say "Biograph" by "fuck that legend fellow" or "Box of Rain" by Hunter.

A wonderful person on this list sent me a copy and I shall treasure it forever. I love it as some of the artwork in the book I own prints of the originals in my home. And next time I see LP, I hope to talk to him about the book.

I used to hand copy lyrics to learn them and having this American equivalent of Len/Mac lyrics and music in my hands is beyond cool. And reading lyrics not in one's scribblings allows more interpretations/understandings/colourations of themes.

LP, thanks for an awesome book. To my guardian angel, thanks so much.

I look forward to finding the companion cd.

Goodnight all, I am beat.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:20:55 pm by kosh1313 »
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline hellpups

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:57:28 am »
This ranks as an equal or beyond in my lyric book collection as say "Biograph" by "fuck that legend fellow" or "Box of Rain" by Hunter.

A wonderful person on this list sent me a copy and I shall treasure it forever. I love it as some of the artwork in the book I own prints of the originals in my home. And next time I see LP, I hope to talk to him about the book.

I used to hand copy lyrics to learn them and having this American equivalent of Len/Mac lyrics and music in my hands is beyond cool. And reading lyrics not in one's scribblings allows more interpretations/understandings/colourations of themes.

LP, thanks for an awesome book. To my guardian angel, thanks so much.

It's a lovely book and I've learned a lot about the lyrics I didn't know before... the art included is beautiful and had me wondering whether he's done any comprehensive showing in a gallery before... there are a couple of pieces I'd love to own nice prints of... as a librarian my only complaint is the material isn't indexed in any way which makes it difficult find particular lyrics... the organization is interesting but doesn't help make the work accessible... not a big problem really but I like to find things when I need them and for better or worse the collection tends to be a bit of a treasure hunt (which may be the point)...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »
It's a terrific book. Louie is a regular renaissance man with his music, lyrics, paintings and sketches. Some of that artwork is really cool. Plus he has a lovely prose style. A very talented guy.

Offline Bones

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:26 pm »
my only complaint is the material isn't indexed in any way which makes it difficult find particular lyrics...

Louie mentioned the same thing at his book reading last week. Maybe in the next edition

Here's some video
Saint Behind the Glass
Luna

The interview and full performance are on the LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes facebook page

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:06 pm »
my only complaint is the material isn't indexed in any way which makes it difficult find particular lyrics...

Louie mentioned the same thing at his book reading last week. Maybe in the next edition

Here's some video
Saint Behind the Glass
Luna

The interview and full performance are on the LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes facebook page

Me, I took that as a challenge to better understand the goods, and I think the hellhound thought of that aspect too.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline njwolf

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:46 pm »
Louie also has written a chapter for "More Fun in the New World: The Unmaking and Legacy of L.A. Punk" by John Doe and Tom DeSavia. The book will be published in June and is a follow-up to "Under the Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk."
 Louie mentions the book in this wide-ranging interview.
 https://www.westword.com/music/los-lobos-louie-perez-on-trump-aztlan-and-accepting-compliments-11214057

Offline JesseTheLawyer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:20:16 am »
the art included is beautiful and had me wondering whether he's done any comprehensive showing in a gallery before...

Yes, indeed--Louie's graphic art has been included in gallery shows internationally.  My brain is short on details right now, but there is a very high-falutin' Canadian gallery that had his pieces exhibited and included in a show that I believe featured artists who are also musicians. 
I am personally partial to acrylics, though LP does a lot of pen & ink, guache, water color, etc.  The painting that is the cover of the book is small, maybe about 8" x 6".
I believe his graphic art is definitely for sale for those interested. I would like a piece some day.
Thank You, Music Lovers

Offline JesseTheLawyer

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:23:10 am »

On LL merch site you can get it, and it should redirect you to the Mexican community center that published the book and is receiving all proceeds, they are in Sylmar, CA. Or maybe you just get it frm the merch site--In any case, no one should buy the book or CD on Amazon or anywhere else except through LL merch, that way the center gets all the money.

love you  ;)
Thank You, Music Lovers