Author Topic: Kiko Run Out Groove  (Read 141 times)

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
Re: Kiko Run Out Groove
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:16 am »
there's no way on earth this would sound better than the original pressing or the MoFi reissue
i *would* be interested in the two sides of 'bonus tracks making their debut on vinyl'
but really when it comes to 180g remasters i've been disappointed more often than i've been blown away

there are rare occasions where they are an actual improvement, but most of the time they're a thick and heavy downgrade
this record plant in the Netherlands that can guarantee 8-12 weeks from vote > pressing makes me skeptical as well

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:50:57 pm by crackmc »

Offline hellpups

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:37:00 am »
there's no way on earth this would sound better than the original pressing of the MoFi reissue
i *would* be interested in the two sides of 'bonus tracks making their debut on vinyl'
but really when it comes to 180g remasters i've been disappointed more often than i've been blown away

there are rare occasions where they are an actual improvement, but most of the time they're a thick and heavy downgrade
this record plant in the Netherlands that can guarantee 8-12 weeks from vote > pressing makes me skeptical as well

Maybe this is a stupid question (I'm good at those some days) but is the MoFi reissue worth the $35 they're asking? It looks like it is still available at... https://www.mofi.com/product-p/mfsl1-371.htm
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline Cdrtree

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:28:53 pm »
8-12 weeks no, but the Bettye Lavette LP was worth the wait.
I have the SACD Kiko mofi and it is my go-to stereo sacd when sharing with others.

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:37 pm »
there's no way on earth this would sound better than the original pressing of the MoFi reissue

Maybe this is a stupid question (I'm good at those some days) but is the MoFi reissue worth the $35 they're asking? It looks like it is still available at... https://www.mofi.com/product-p/mfsl1-371.htm

absolutely
FWIW the MoFi remasters are always guaranteed to sound outstanding (if not a huge improvement from the originals)

in Kiko's case the MoFi release has a wider stereo image to my ears - doesn't necessarily sound better, but it does push a few things forward into the mix without nudging anything out of the way...mostly gives the subtle/delicate sounds like brushes & toy percussion more room to breathe, and the decay of the percussive sounds just have more of a...i dunno, creamy smooth feel

full disclosure: i pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose like 4 times while typing this post

Offline crackmc

• FOLL
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:25 pm »
8-12 weeks no, but the Bettye Lavette LP was worth the wait.

that's promising

it's irresponsible to promise 8-12 weeks...nobody can press records that fast in 2018
they must push back release dates regularly
pro move would be to promise a 6-8 month turnaround and look like a hero if you can deliver before 6 (which is still optimistic)

that Morphine 1997 release looks great on paper, but i'd be worried that it's mastered from a weak soundboard tape

Offline Cdrtree

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:14:08 pm »
well described (on Kiko)...agree about 180g; it's all in the master and the mix, but when done well, its hard to not smile...One that lives up to the hype is Lou Reed's Transformer. I have the orig pressing, but some things cannot be removed from the grooves (I'm thinking it was PB). I got the Speakers Corner 180g pressing and it will make you think twice about spending the money for an original pressing. Great album and great example of what can be done with the original master tapes and some 180g vinyl. Another good run of 180g is Isaac Hayes from Craft recordings. Just listen to Black Moses.