Author Topic: Cave-O De Mayo  (Read 921 times)

Offline kosh1313

Cave-O De Mayo
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:06:55 pm »
Underground Wolves anyone?

Myles, you coming in for this one?

The Caverns & the Grammy Award winning Los Lobos invite you to experience the ultimate Cinco De Mayo celebration Saturday May 4th w. the world's largest underground piñata & festive libations all in one of the world's most epic venue! Located in the timeless valley of Pelham, TN, at the base of Monteagle Mountain, The Caverns is a musical venue like no other. Lying in an ancient and almost hidden cove in one of the most cavernous places on earth. The caverns is the world's newest and oldest "performance hall". The caverns feature singular acoustics in a sublime and surreal setting. It's a magic cave and we welcome you to dig deeper. The Caverns is home to the PBS television show "Bluegrass Underground" and feature live shows throughout the year.

We've been in these caverns but never for music. Due to family obligations, I am likely to miss the ATL CWinery show in late Feb, so this could/would be an interesting consolation prize.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline iarooster

Re: Cave-O De Mayo
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
It sounds interesting. But as a friend pointed out, "singular acoustics" might not mean "good acoustics."

Offline rovalle

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:48:54 pm »
Cave goblins are already planning to abduct Conrad and make him King....
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:34 pm »
Cave goblins are already planning to abduct Conrad and make him King....

hah, but he's too smiley, Ric!

IARooster, I thought about that too, but with the massive number of shows they hold there that the acoustics cannot be that bad, can they, he asks wonderingly?

It is a wild space for a show, that is for sure, so it should be interesting.

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:43 pm »
I think it might make a nice mini-vacation...10-hour drive over a couple of days doesn't sound bad. An hour from Chattanooga (why go? I don't know) and Nashville. I hope other people besides ko and me are considering. Would be great to see you, K!

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:15 pm »
I think it might make a nice mini-vacation...10-hour drive over a couple of days doesn't sound bad. An hour from Chattanooga (why go? I don't know) and Nashville. I hope other people besides ko and me are considering. Would be great to see you, K!

Yeah, Annette, that would be cool. Marie is going to pick up tickets on Friday and I think she found cheap lodging not too far from the cave. I think the three of us will be heading over there. And truth be told, I'd much rather miss the ATL CWinery show and catch this one as our "consolation" show.

See you there, AB!

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:58:58 am »
It sounds interesting. But as a friend pointed out, "singular acoustics" might not mean "good acoustics."

i dunno...lots of natural baffling in that room...not many flat surfaces for sound to bounce off of

there are a few youtubes of performances there
most sound great considering most of them were recorded w/ a crappy iphone mic

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 10:32:14 pm »
Ok, my family is in, AB. What's it gonna take to bring you south? I'll throw in CircleK(tm) smoked meats if you find that tempting?

And to Crackatolla's point, for music, it started as a cavern that bluegrassers somehow found and decided to co-opt it, damn bluegrassers. And unless they are in front of your VFW, they don't brook bad sound.

Offline hellpups

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:40:44 am »

a crappy iphone mic
[/quote]

Hey, I represent that remark....  :hmmm: :help: :yahoo:
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline Bart Cornand

• Our Man in Europe
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 03:47:59 am »
Chattanooga? I'd go to the Songbirds Guitar Museum! A treasure trove for guitar nuts like me.
https://songbirds.rocks/

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 10:15:12 am »
Chattanooga? I'd go to the Songbirds Guitar Museum! A treasure trove for guitar nuts like me.
https://songbirds.rocks/

Want me to send you pictures, BC?

Offline unclebuck

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 05:05:39 pm »
My first thought the first time I saw Bluegrass Underground,was how cool it would be for Los Lobos the play this venue.My next thought was,what a great place to resurrect `Deep Dark Hole`.I love this little gem and wonder if its ever been done live.Don`t recall ever seeing it on Dans setlist page on shows from that time.I`m giving serious thought to going to this one.And any concerns about the sound I`m sure will be taken care of by the very capable sound guy who works for the band.

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 09:29:04 pm »
I think I may have to make the tough decision to skip the Music Box in Cleveland on 3/1, so I can maybe justify this one. Of course, the Music Box is overpriced and you sit at crowded tables with strangers, so...maybe not so tough.

They're doing a "perfect setlist contest," whatever that may be, though. H'mm...probably won't win.

Offline Bart Cornand

• Our Man in Europe
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 05:15:13 am »
unclebuck: I don't think they ever did Deep Dark Hole live.
Kosh: Yes, please!

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:58 am »
"Deep Dark Hole" has been formally and informally requested and I used the inducement of smoked meats for the carnivores and smoked veggies for the vegan fellow.

That would be a serious bust out. And to think, not likely to be a taper in the bunch.

Offline voodoostrat

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 03:49:55 pm »
"Deep Dark Hole" has been formally and informally requested and I used the inducement of smoked meats for the carnivores and smoked veggies for the vegan fellow.

That would be a serious bust out. And to think, not likely to be a taper in the bunch.

I’ll mail you a recorder.
All that stuff you heard about lard, they're all lies, lard is like the... I'm sorry (laughs)... It's the juice of life...

-David Hidalgo 2014-01-11