Author Topic: i miss Victor and Coogz sometimes  (Read 589 times)

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
i miss Victor and Coogz sometimes
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:30:58 am »
i don't wanna make it sound like i don't love Enrique, because i do
but i miss Victor B
and miss the Victor/Cougar double barrel bonanza
and i miss Cougar by himself

please join me in this thread on our beloved discussion board

Offline kosh1313

Re: i miss Victor and Coogz sometimes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:49 am »
Twas the Fear and Loathing in the Midwest tour, meeting RojoStrat and Cdrtree, when I looked at the stage the first night, Erie PA where we sat with the mayor and his wife for dinner, and I saw Cougar up there alone. Sven filled me in on the goings on in drumland.

I think Lobos are the only band I see who will swap out members or just go on without one, looking at you CR! But it works, for the most part. I will say when they brought in the hired gun from NYC to play a Birchmere show b/c DH was out for a grandkid birth that it did not go too well, in my humble opinion. He played well on a technical level, but the show did not flow as well had they just not put anybody on the right side of the stage as one faces the radio dial.

Sorry Steve, got off on a tangent, so I am going back to listen to some old tapes spanning all the various drumming incarnations of Los Lobos. Maybe I'll have more to report after that.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline hellpups

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:48:46 am »
Bugs is a super solid drummer, an airtight professional and a major mensch on top of everything. At the drop of a dime he can pick up that song and go with it and do it all with a smile on his face...

That said the seemingly never-ending GMA tour with the dueling percussionists will probably always be my favorite. On top of that the "just Cougar" years were monster and the band played with a sense of urgency that is pretty rare. The combo of Cougar and David in particular was a beautiful alchemy to behold. Those two made some incredible music together and more than once I've suggested to David that he do something solo with Cougar (maybe a B3 trio kinda set-up, which I think they've done once or twice... definitely at the Knitting Factory a few years ago) and he says he'd love to but it is a matter of finding the free time.

Speaking of Victor a relative of his (cousin, brother?) was playing drums for one of the bands that opened for LL the other week in Healdsburg... You missed out big time Mr Crack and could have even snuggled with Mr Gale on our hotel room floor (that's where he slept)...
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline kosh1313

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:08:54 pm »
'pupster, well said!

It was nice to see Los Cenzontles with Cougar and Dave together when they opened up the new U of Chicago arts building in the fall of 2012. Brilliant fucking show!

I need a Lobos show to lift my spirits right now and Cave-O de Mayo is too damn far away. Damnit all to hell.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:37:57 pm »
'pupster, well said!

It was nice to see Los Cenzontles with Cougar and Dave together when they opened up the new U of Chicago arts building in the fall of 2012. Brilliant fucking show!

I need a Lobos show to lift my spirits right now and Cave-O de Mayo is too damn far away. Damnit all to hell.

I was at the Los Cenzontles Cultural Center this past Friday evening and was told that DH might be making an appearance there in a couple of months.

Offline rovalle

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 06:51:42 pm »
Bugs is a super solid drummer, an airtight professional and a major mensch on top of everything. At the drop of a dime he can pick up that song and go with it and do it all with a smile on his face...

That said the seemingly never-ending GMA tour with the dueling percussionists will probably always be my favorite. On top of that the "just Cougar" years were monster and the band played with a sense of urgency that is pretty rare. The combo of Cougar and David in particular was a beautiful alchemy to behold. Those two made some incredible music together and more than once I've suggested to David that he do something solo with Cougar (maybe a B3 trio kinda set-up, which I think they've done once or twice... definitely at the Knitting Factory a few years ago) and he says he'd love to but it is a matter of finding the free time.

Speaking of Victor a relative of his (cousin, brother?) was playing drums for one of the bands that opened for LL the other week in Healdsburg... You missed out big time Mr Crack and could have even snuggled with Mr Gale on our hotel room floor (that's where he slept)...

Not that Victor...someone else
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline Bart Cornand

• Our Man in Europe
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:32:38 am »
Yup, I'm with Pups. Bugs brought a sense of swing to the band, I like that. And what a joyful personality.

Offline ChuckS

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 07:27:37 am »
I like "Bugs", but I miss the dual drumming of Victor and Cougar as well, along with those times when as many as five of the boys were playing some sort of percussion at the same time.

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 12:31:23 am »
The combo of Cougar and David in particular was a beautiful alchemy to behold.

hell yes
loved it when Cougar/Dave/Conrad would lay out a dirty greasey groove behind Cesar