Author Topic: New Life Experiences  (Read 152 times)

Offline ChuckS

New Life Experiences
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:06:43 am »
For a number of years at springtime, I used to go down to a region comprising eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, a special part of Appalachia that has some of the finest whitewater I know of.  Wilson Creek, French Broad, Nolichucky, Nantahala, Ocoee, Wautaga, Spring Creek, and Big Laurel all gave me plenty of thrills along with the occasional bruise or abrasion.  Each time I ventured down there, I would see had-painted signs here and there advertising "boiled peanuts" but somehow I never got around to trying them.

It had been quite a while since I visited Tennessee, and while en route to Cavo de Mayo this past weekend, I stopped for gas, and on the way out of the building I spotted a sort of double crock pot with boiled peanuts for sale.  I bought a portion and sat there in the parking lot eating them for the first time.  They're a bit messy, and the texture was different - more like slightly underdone baked potatoes than roasted peanuts.  They weren't bad, but I'll stick with roasted peanuts from now on.

By now, everyone has heard about the Cava de Mayo letdown.  However, it wasn't a complete disaster.  The opener, the San Rafael Band, was very good, the acoustics were fine, and San Rafael ended up playing a full show.  From what I could see, the majority of the crowd stuck around and enjoyed them.  Still....

At any rate, I can chalk up two new life experiences:  boiled peanuts and a cave concert.
Next month two more new life experiences are on tap:  laverbread and a candlelit concert at St Martin-in-the-Field.  I hope the concert isn't canceled.

Offline kosh1313

Re: New Life Experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:26:44 pm »
Yupper, boiled nuts are quite the acquired taste and one I cannot say I've acquired in my years on this planet. Goodness, I've knows I've tried, but the texture just sorta skeeves me out.
Je m'en vais chercher un grand peut-etre!