Author Topic: Kind Sister RJ...  (Read 321 times)

Offline rovalle

Kind Sister RJ...
« on: June 07, 2019, 07:55:15 am »
I wrote this four years ago today on my FB page in memory of our dear friend...

"For our dear friend Rhea (RJ) King who lost the good fight yesterday...My thoughts go out to her loving husband Alan and their daughter Kelsa...RJ thank you for all of your kind words and support through the years...your love for your family and your music shone through it all...I always enjoyed hearing from you after any given road trip that involved the musical pot 'o gold at the end, be it Jazz Fest, a Lobo gig or The Fur Peace gigs...and thank you for making me more acutely aware of James Booker...Sail On My Dear Sister, Sail on..."

Every time an old post pops up that has to do with music or a road trip I see her comments on them and it strikes hard how she is no longer with us...To her loving family please know that she is with us always in our hearts and minds..."We love you madly..."

2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline JesseTheLawyer

Re: Kind Sister RJ...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
Thank you for sharing that, I would not have known it was this sad anniversary.  I miss RJ a very great deal and I think of her often.....yes, usually some way she enriched my life comes up, and I miss her terribly.....Indeed, she is with us always.....Sending you love, RJ, with all my dancing spirit....
Thank You, Music Lovers

Offline hellpups

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:38:12 am »
The last time I saw her was at a Fillmore show. She joined my friend Dirk and I for our traditional Japanese dinner and then hung out with us in front of the stage all night. Typically giving to a fault, she bought several rounds that night despite our protests. After the show we walked her back to the Kabuki (she thought we were being gallant, but in truth we were just being protective of this very special friend) and said goodnight with a hug. Didn't know that was going to be the last time  :'(

Another story that I might have partly wrong was one year before a Fillmore show she gave Crack a very fine bottle of bourbon for some thing he had done for her. It was sweet to see the gruff old Crackster soften to putty at the generosity of the gesture.

She is still much loved and terribly missed. Thanks for bringing her back Ric.
Hellpups

With one shoe on
And one shoe lost
Stands a wounded man
Who just laughs it off

-Angels With Dirty Faces

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:10:45 am »
The last time I saw her was at a Fillmore show. She joined my friend Dirk and I for our traditional Japanese dinner and then hung out with us in front of the stage all night. Typically giving to a fault, she bought several rounds that night despite our protests. After the show we walked her back to the Kabuki (she thought we were being gallant, but in truth we were just being protective of this very special friend) and said goodnight with a hug. Didn't know that was going to be the last time  :'(

i'm pretty sure yanet and mryanet and i were at this dinner as well
(unless i'm remembering a different pre-show Mifune dinner)
99% sure it was the same dinner, because ^this^ was definitely the last time i saw Rhea

Another story that I might have partly wrong was one year before a Fillmore show she gave Crack a very fine bottle of bourbon for some thing he had done for her. It was sweet to see the gruff old Crackster soften to putty at the generosity of the gesture.

i hadn't done anything for her actually (not that i recall)
i had mentioned that i was getting into bourbon and she just sent me a bottle of 18 year single barrel because...Rhea
it arrived at my office the day of the Friday show
Dan and i destroyed it over the weekend

also the reports of my gruffness have been greatly exaggerated
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:47:06 am by crackmc »

Offline rovalle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »
...also the reports of my gruffness have been greatly exaggerated....

And underappreciated as well I would say...
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"