Author Topic: Show outlook is looking grim  (Read 223 times)

Offline mcamp

Show outlook is looking grim
« on: July 20, 2020, 12:32:40 pm »
I've been following the upcoming shows in my area (Massachusetts), and one by one they are being postponed...that would be Indian Ranch (postponed until next September), Narrows Center for the Arts (postponed until next February) and Stone Mountain (also rescheduled until next February).  With that said, looks like I won't be seeing the band until next year :(

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
Re: Show outlook is looking grim
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 03:20:24 pm »
How are venues doing? There are a couple here that have decided to pull the plug for good. A lot of the others are doing fundraisers to keep going.
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline mcamp

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 04:04:00 pm »
The only thing going on right now are streaming concerts, or outdoor "drive-in" concerts.
I just attended a Blue Oyster Cult drive-in show near Keene, NH at the Cheshire Fairgrounds Saturday night....it was a blast. Tupelo Music Hall in Derry, NH also has drive-in events, but most are tribute or local acts.
I'd love to see Los Lobos at the spot I was just at...the stage was at the bottom of a sloping hill; nice spot, cool vibes. September looks to be wide open.
https://www.drive-in-live.com/

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 11:52:12 pm »
i asked LP yesterday if he thinks the 8/30 Orange County show (rescheduled from 7/10) is going to happen

he is no more confident that it will happen than any of us are

Offline mcamp

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:23:12 am »
Good luck on that one....at this point it's like hitting a moving target.

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 02:30:04 pm »
How are venues doing? There are a couple here that have decided to pull the plug for good. A lot of the others are doing fundraisers to keep going.

City Winery Boston just closed, temporarily they say.

https://citywinery.com/boston/

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 02:46:52 pm »
i asked LP yesterday if he thinks the 8/30 Orange County show (rescheduled from 7/10) is going to happen

he is no more confident that it will happen than any of us are

If the country had listened to Louie we wouldn’t be in this mess right now. I remember hearing him on a livestream months ago saying that it was too early to re-open and it would be like quitting a marathon 20 miles into the race. Well, we did it anyway and now look where we are.

LP for President!

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:48:27 pm »
The only thing going on right now are streaming concerts, or outdoor "drive-in" concerts.
I just attended a Blue Oyster Cult drive-in show near Keene, NH at the Cheshire Fairgrounds Saturday night....it was a blast. Tupelo Music Hall in Derry, NH also has drive-in events, but most are tribute or local acts.
I'd love to see Los Lobos at the spot I was just at...the stage was at the bottom of a sloping hill; nice spot, cool vibes. September looks to be wide open.
https://www.drive-in-live.com/

Payomet in Truro just started drive-in shows. Hopefully, they can ramp up before the summer ends.

Offline morrisjk

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:50:18 pm »
All,

We'll make it through this, probably with a few drop off venues due to attrition, but once the bands can get back on the road the doors will open again.   In the meantime Drive-Ins are becoming the in thing in the Mid-Atlantic region as well as pay per view home streams.  Once the weather changes though who knows.  I'm still waiting for my money back from the Philly Met for a Jason Isbel June show.  What are they doing with all that cash?  Not closing I'm sure.  Our other summer shows at Mann Center and Wolf Trap already refunded us.  I feel bad for the smaller clubs like Johnny Brenda's and such.   They relied on daily small shows and alcohol sales.  Gonna be different for sure.

Jim

Offline crackmc

• freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude
  • FOLL
      • i'll record your band. for free. seriously.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:49:11 pm »
drive-in shows are a dumb gimmick whose novelty will wear off quick
don't get me wrong - i want to see LL play for a parking lot as much as the next guy
but what a dumb idea

Offline mcamp

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 07:01:52 am »
don't get me wrong - i want to see LL play for a parking lot as much as the next guy
but what a dumb idea
Don't knock until you try it.
I had a blast...and you have everything you need in the car, and in the case where I saw the show, a field in rural NH...on a nice night, can't be beat.

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08:44 pm »
but what a dumb idea

The guy who runs Lollapalooza also thinks drive-in shows are gimmicky. He also thinks live music won’t be back until 2022.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lollapalooza-marc-geiger-2022-coronavirus_n_5f11f78fc5b6cec246c254ab

I haven’t been to a drive-in show yet but I’ll give it a try.

Offline iarooster

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 07:44:18 pm »
One venue is town has one or two shows scheduled per week, but the bigger names keep canceling. Todd Snider is the biggest name in August that hasn't canceled but I'm not holding my breath. (No pun intended.)

Yeah, a lot of small and mid-size venues are going to close, but if/when normalcy returns, they'll open back up with new owners. It's like Lefty's Live Music Emporium on the edge of the Drake University campus. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business, but it's been a music venue for probably 30 years and will be again.

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:17 pm »
but what a dumb idea

You could bring your inflatable Godzilla....
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline rovalle

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 01:27:03 am »
but what a dumb idea

You could bring your inflatable Godzilla....

...and an inflatable Pups...
2nd groucho-priest encounter, nyc hotel lobby
priest "aren't you groucho marx?"
groucho "yes i am"
priest "i want to thank you for all the joy you've put in the world"
groucho "and i want to thank you for all the joy you've taken out of it"

Offline bostondavid

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 02:13:17 pm »
One venue is town has one or two shows scheduled per week, but the bigger names keep canceling. Todd Snider is the biggest name in August that hasn't canceled but I'm not holding my breath. (No pun intended.)

Yeah, a lot of small and mid-size venues are going to close, but if/when normalcy returns, they'll open back up with new owners. It's like Lefty's Live Music Emporium on the edge of the Drake University campus. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business, but it's been a music venue for probably 30 years and will be again.

Maybe. Some things don’t come back. Music clubs are often labors of love and it can be tough finding folks with that passion. Of course, LiveNation will be happy to swoop in like a vulture after the carnage. On the bright side:

“Senators Introduce ‘Save Our Stages Act’ to Support Struggling Venues“

https://jambands.com/news/2020/07/22/senators-introduce-save-our-stages-act-to-support-struggling-venues/?utm_source=Relix+Daily&utm_campaign=4bbc1a250d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_07_23_04_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_486e6e4b54-4bbc1a250d-29739411&mc_cid=4bbc1a250d&mc_eid=e703e56e5d