Author Topic: Idea for a Los Lobos album  (Read 302 times)

Offline njwolf

Idea for a Los Lobos album
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:57:49 am »
 With concerts curtailed or canceled during the pandemic, I'm wondering if the band would consider releasing an anthology of music they've made for TV/film soundtracks, tribute albums and other rarities or other unreleased songs over the decades. Some of those songs were featured on the "El Cancionero" box set in 2000. However, there is some offbeat stuff out there that wasn't on the box set, such as the Spanish version of "Devil With a Blue Dress On" and "We'll Meet Again" that was done for "True Blood." I realize there could be a problem in determining who owns the rights to some of the songs. Dave Alvin released "From an Old Guitar: Rare and Unreleased Recordings," an album of digital singles and tribute songs in July via Bandcamp.  It will come out on CD in November. I think fans would enjoy a similar release by Los Lobos.

Offline Steve J

• The Mighty Favog
  • Admin
  • The Might Favog
Re: Idea for a Los Lobos album
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 11:21:54 am »
If they went this path, an absolute would be their version of "Beautiful Boy" they did on Greetings From Tucson
Humans are the only animals that follow unstable leaders.

Offline njwolf

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 01:25:12 pm »
 I was unaware of that performance but it would be a good choice for such an album. I like the short version of "Oh Boy," the band did for "La Bamba."
 I did some checking on Los Lobos on imdb and found some songs they had done for movies/TV that I was unaware of.
 The band did "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for the "Better Call Saul" episode "Cobbler" in 2016 and "Oh My Darling Clementine" for "The Cowboy in the Contest" episode of "Bones" in 2015.
 For the 1996 movie "Grace of My Heart," Gerry Goffin and Los Lobos co-wrote the song "In Anorther World." I don't know if the band ever recorded the song. The song is performed twice in the movie, once by Kristen Vigard and once by Portrait, according to imdb. Portrait's version is on the soundtrack album.
 On the music credits for "Feeling Minnesota," the band is credited with performing "I Want to Know What Love Is," the Foreigner song. That performance is not on the film soundtrack.

Offline Annette Bassett

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:33:53 pm »
And Dylan's song, "On a Night Like This," from that movie, Masked and Anonymous. (God love Wikipedia :yahoo:)

Offline AnotherGuyFromWestBronx

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »
This is a GREAT thread. I was able to track down about half of these.

Their "Minnesota Medley," from the Feeling Minnesota soundtrack is an especially nice treat.

Would love to see what else you guys come up with.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 01:42:00 pm »
Maybe lots of you already know about this one but I just discovered the soundtrack for a 1987 film called Border Radio, which has Steve and Dave all over it, along with the usual suspects like Dave Alvin and John Doe. I could only find two tracks online, but the one with Dave sounded really fantastic.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Border-Radio-Original-Soundtrack/release/6461314

And in a strange coincidence, also new today on Netflix is a very cool looking doc called, "Carlos Almaraz: Playing With Fire." Apparently it has music by Louie, Dave, "and Latin Playboys." Not sure if there are any new songs on it, but the trailer uses "If," from the first Latin Playboys release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN0Q7fYNEk

Offline njwolf

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 08:53:31 am »
The "Border Radio" soundtrack album is a solid collection of music. The electric version of "Mi Vida Loca" sounds like a musical merger of Los Lobos and the Blasters featuring David and Steve from Los Lobos and Dave Alvin, Bill Bateman and John Bazz from the Blasters.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:38:22 pm »
Well I found a used copy in great shape and I have to say the music is good, start to end, even the stuff without Lobos or Blasters on it.

I ripped a copy to WAV files too. If anyone is interested in copies just let me know!

Offline yolodave

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 02:17:34 am »
You all hip to "The Third Mind," the recent album by Dave Alvin and company?  I think it would be cool for the Lobos to do something similar, with some extended jams. Really stretch out a couple of tunes in the studio.

Offline njwolf

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 07:56:37 am »
 "The Third Mind" album is worth seeking out. It shows a different side of Dave's talent as a guitarist. I once interviewed Dave and he said the way to improve as a musician is to play with other musicians. That's why he's gotten involved with different projects over the years, such as the Guilty Women and his album and tours with Jimmie Dale Gilmore. In the latest issue of the American Music newsletter, Dave says he is hoping to tour with The Third Mind in May 2021. Time will tell. The tour has been postponed twice in 2020. It would be cool for Los Lobos try a Third Mind-type of album.